There are times when popping the pill fails to ‘kill’ that agonizing, nagging lower back pain. At times such as this, when everything else seems to draw a blank, you can have your elixir in the form of meditation. Studies have credited meditation to have an even more therapeutic effect on pain than powerful over-the-counter drugs and that too minus the side effects.
How Meditation Can Help Get Relief From Pain?
Practising meditation religiously is like doing reps at the gym. The only difference is that, it helps to strengthen your “attention muscle”. The benefits of meditation for stress and pain management are many.
- It helps to control mood imbalance due to anxiety and stress.
- It limits your dependence on drugs.
- It gives a positive attitude.
- Meditation also prevents pain from becoming constant or long-term.
- It also helps to reverse the unbearable effects of chronic pain conditions.
A very recent study has proved that mindfulness exercises can dramatically help lower back pain, particularly in older adults. The experiment, which involved 8 sessions of training in mindfulness, met with encouraging results. Majority of the participants, who meditated about 4.3 days a week and 31.6 minutes everyday, and continued the three month follow up, suggested that they found sufficient benefit in meditation to continue on their own. Almost half of the participants testified to a reduction in pain and sleep placebos after completing the training.
How You Can Practise Meditation At Home?
If you don’t have time to join a meditation class, you can try it at home as well. In that case, a particular CD, namely the Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief: Guided Practices for Reclaiming Your Body and Your Life [Audiobook] [Audio CD] can be of help. The important attributes of the CD include:
- The CD has been created by Jon Kabat-Zinn, the man who brought revolutionary mindfulness into mainstream medicine.
- This two-CD program starts with a synopsis on how mindfulness changes the way our bodies develop pain and stress.
- Listeners will have tips and techniques to work on with their mind.
- It will also teach you to take a grip and live with whatever comes to your life.
- It also teaches to cultivate mindfulness.
- The second part of the CD includes six guided meditations and instructions.
- Ideal for those who have back problem or have undergone spinal surgery.
The CD deservingly gains a very decent rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars at Amazon.com. Users testify that the product is “Manna from Heaven for Those in Pain”. In rare cases, users have found the CD unworthy of recommendation. Do you want to check out what else the customers have to say about it? Then why don’t you check the Amazon website? Find Out More >>>
Perhaps, the following video can also do you some good. Check this out
Though meditation is a relatively new approach towards the treatment of lower back pain, it has nevertheless earned plaudits for its efficacy. So why don’t you try it yourself?